Saturday, April 21, 2012

Do you find the classes too...extremist?

I'm not sure if I am the anyone with this experience.

For example, the only way to survive (IMHO) as Blademaster, is to kill as quick as possible in close range. Gun/Sword combination is useless. There is no concept of defense, no concept of maneuvering (because of the imprecise collision). You just find a combo which gives you the most DPS, go in and whack.

An evoker is slightly more interesting, but it's all just variety of ranged attacks. I have tried a gun/focus evoker before but the damage output is ridiculous. I cannot even cast spells while firing my gun. (or am I wrong in that? Got to find out)

The marksman is only shooting - there's a lot of variety of guns, but it seems that high-interrupt, auto-assault rifles are just effective for all cases.

It's just unlike Diablo II, there is more than a way to play a class. For example, the Amazon - you can use a javelin/shield combo for close range attack with Jab, then when you need to, you switch to Lightning Fury. The Paladin can play as a Shockadin, with his Holy Thunder and ranged attacks.

The Guardian cannot inflicts too much damage. Their only role seems to be tanking, not killing.

I really think they should just revert to three classes Templar, Cabalist and Hunter, and merge the skill trees for a more interesting play-style.

Am I the only one to feel this way?|||The classes would still have crappy skillsets even if you merged all of them together, the skills just arent as numerous, creative, or fun as diablo 2's.

I mean it sickens me looking at all the passives, everything just sucks. And then its like they took the skills from diablo 2 that no one uses like "inner site" and plastered them everywhere. Mythos isnt any better, all they can do now is fill the skillbars with cop-out filler skills.|||Yes, the skills in mythos and HGL do leave a lot to be desired.

I remember when I started playing the mythos alpha and leveled up, and was like "well none of these skills are actually interesting. Maybe when I get to clvl 15, but otherwise I don't think it matters what I put points in". Turns out HGL is just the same.|||I would have to both agree and disagree with this thread. I think there is some decent variety to the types of classes. Hunter get engineer / marksmen. Two totally different classes with the similarity of both using guns. Then within two classes there are further specializations. For example you could spec grenade build or damage build in marksmen. Also you could use rapid ripe guns or pimp nade launchers, and switch to sniper when far away. Summoner and evoker are totally different, Blademaster and Guard are pretty similar.

As for skills:

Blade master can go WW build, Throwing build, Crit build, or charge build. which is a lot more options than barb had in D2 since his skill specialization occured in weapons as aposed to skills. Blademaster can also dual weild, sword n board, or gun build. In d2 I would say that Barb had more filler skills with his useless shouts when compared to HGL.

Now evoker on the other hand has some terrible frackin skills especially when compared to the sorc from D2. With the sorc I was a glass cannon. I would wipe out entire heards of mobs but get one or two shotted. I dont know what the evoker is supposed to be even after playing through normal with one.|||Quote:




Now evoker on the other hand has some terrible frackin skills especially when compared to the sorc from D2. With the sorc I was a glass cannon. I would wipe out entire heards of mobs but get one or two shotted. I dont know what the evoker is supposed to be even after playing through normal with one.




There are many builds with evoker as well. Close range one that focuses on venom armor, firestorm, lightning field. Or a long range one that focuses on spectral lash. Or anywhere in between. If anything, evoker has the most variety of builds.

Also remeber in this game, the guns are like skills with many different uses and purposes. Way better than Diablo.|||Hannibal's right. The weapons are the skills. The summoner for instance (the only class I've finished the game with) has skills relating to summoning, but virtually no direct damage skills. But she has an awesome variety of class-specific weapons, many of them with powers equivalent to spells in similar games. Attacking with a swarm of insects, mind-controlling an enemy, coating the ground with flame, and many more, with the possibility of equipping up to six weapons at once and easily swapping between them.

THAT'S where the build variety comes from.|||The MM has several varients. I'm built around a fast firing rifle. Yet I could have easily built myself around an AoE weapon. You could just as easily go with pistols or shotgun style weapons. Each have their advantages.

I prefer the rifle for being a good all purpose weapon.

AoE weapons may not damage a single monster as well but damned if groups have no chance. So you work under the idea of room sweeping instead of aiming. Works just as well

Pistols I can't speak of but I know there are a lot of people enjoying them greatly so they must be good however they're used.

And a shotgun, who can argue with that? So you can't kill at range, nothing up close has a chance. Fire and maneuver and close in and kill them.

A guild that partied regularly could easily mix and match styles and be deadly in depth. Use small unit tactics and you'd be unstoppable|||I don't like general purpose rifle so I have one set up for long range with venom lance, crazy dps that auto-aims. When the mobs swarm me, I switch to dual raptor rapid fire/redirect proc for close range AoE. Venom lance power consumption is no good for close range sustained fire approach. Then I have my thermal canon that gives them long range AoE of hell.|||I do believe all classes can be played with a wide variety of playstyles. Sniping enemies from a distance and run back into the shadows? Charge in with dual machine guns ripping through stuff? Ignite entire areas with the help of the friendly invisible Airforce? That's a Marksman for you, just one example.

However to concede to one point from the OP: Some classes clearly focus on offense and some clearly on defense/tanking, particularly the Guardian. However as some others pointed out, you still can equip your Leroy Jenkins-Marksman with damage absorbing armor and convert him/her into a decent tank that way. The items are part of the build in this game.|||Quote:






View Post

The items are part of the build in this game.




As it was in Diablo II. Maybe not as much, but most build "guides" I have seen for Diablo II included a list of "must-have" equipment for that build. The equipment usually strengthened areas where the build was generally weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment